Table of Contents
“A Computer is an electronic machine that can solve different problems, process data, store & retrieve data and perform calculations faster and efficiently than humans”.
Meaning of the word "Computer"
Computer is derived from a Latin word “computare” which means to “to calculate” , “to count” , “to sum up” or “to think together”. So, more precisely the word computer mean s a "device that performs computation".
Definition of Computer
A Computer is programmed device with a set of instructions to perform specific tasks and generate results at a very high speed.
According to Wikipedia the word “Computer" was first used in a book called “the Young mans gleanings” in 1613.
Some interesting facts about computers & its Operating Systems
- The first digital computers were developed between 1940 to 1945.
- Konrad Zuse, In 1941 developed “Z3”, the first modern computing machine.
- Konrad Zuse is regarded as “the inventor of computers”.
- ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator & Computer) was the first US-built electronic computer.
- ENIAC was developed by John Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert.
- The world’s first stored-program computer was “Manchester Baby” developed in 1948.
- The “Manchester Baby” was a small-scale experimental computer developed in Victoria university of Manchester.
- In the 1st generation of computers, Computers were built with vacuum tubes.
- In 1957, FORTRAN (Formula Translator) was introduced.
- Computers were built with Transistors in the 2nd generation of computers.
- In the 3rd generation of computers, Transistors were replaced with Integrated Circuits.
- In the 4th generation of computers, Microprocessors were used to built Computers.
- In 1981, IBM PC with Intel processors and MS-Dos were introduced.
- In 1984, Macintosh Computers were introduced.
- In 1985, Microsoft Windows GUI was introduced.
- In 1989, Intel 486 computers were introduced.
- In 1990, Windows 3.0 operating System for PCs was launched.
- In 1991, the World Wide Web was introduced to the general public.
- In 1991, Linux operating was developed.
- In 1993, Intel’s Pentium was introduced.
- In 1995, windows 95 operating system was made released.
- In June, 1996 Windows 4.0 operating system was released.
- On February 17, 2000, Windows 2000 was released.
- Windows XP was released on 25th October, 2001.
- On November 30th, 2006 Windows Vista was released.
- On July 22nd 2009, Windows 7 was introduced.
- On Windows 8, the successor of Windows 7 was released on October 28th, 2012.